SebinoExpress - Saint Rocco
  • Churches
  • Saint Rocco

Franciacorta

  web

DESCRIZIONE

Local chronicles testimony that the actual Church of Saint Rocco had been dedicated to Saint Martin, the Bishop of Tours - father of the pre-Benedictine monasticism, from time immemorial. In 1477, ten years after the devastating epidemic plague between 1467-1468, a locust invasion brought another plague so Rovato dedicated its Church to Saint Rocco, protector against epidemics. The present building is about the same one from the 15th century, when the restoration works started and that lasted for several decades. From the medieval structure some elements have remained the same, such as the positioning and the semicircular apse divided by pilaster strips and columns.